Sunday, August 25, 2013

California Girl in Training...

My transition from Carolina Girl to California Girl has been slow and... decidedly stubborn.

Mostly because I've only resided in California since July 8th, so I feel like a bit of a tourist, but also because I still have so much garnet and black Gamecock love in my blood, as well as Baker's Sweets cravings, Applebee's nostalgia, and I really, really, REALLY miss a nice rainy day.

I'm told that California has the "ideal" weather, but on my first day here, I had to wear a hoodie over my cute sundress because I was chilly. No bueno! Carolina Girls wear tank tops, short shorts, dainty dresses and flip flops about 270 days out of the year. (If we didn't, we'd sweat to death, que es no bueno tambien.)

But I'm improvising by either sticking to my "mom uniform" of yoga pants and a hoodie most days, or I'm grinning against the cooler-than-I'm-used-to air when I feel like dolling up. I have a feeling that soon my inner body temperature will turn Californian and learn to love this pleasant "heat" we have.

So far, I've simply been exploring Vandenberg Air Force Base and getting to know my community, neighbors. I'm trying not to be such a homebody, though, and since my little brother Andrew lives in California as well, we took a little trip together. :)

Day Trip to Los Angeles... for the Bruno Mars Moonshine Jungle Tour concert at the Staples Center!!


(I'd highlighted my hair with copious blonde highlights and gotten some 14" Remy clip-in extensions before we left South Carolina... I felt that if I were a little more blonde-bombshell, I might fit in better! Plus, when I'm blonde I feel happy and sunny, and I'm told California is the place for happy, sunny people.)

On the drive down CA-1 from Vandenberg, we drove right along the coast for most of the way, and it was actually the first time I'd seen the beach since I'd gotten here. And beaches did I see... back to back to back! I'll always be partial to my SC beaches, but at least California has a serious variety!



Once we got to LA, my brother and I drove to the Hollywood Bowl where we saw Batman and Spiderman, Michael Jackson and, of course, a "Despicable Me" minion...




Again, I'm still on tourist status, and I had no idea these people in costume work for tips. Silly me! Bless their hearts...

After a nutritious pre-concert dinner of burgers, fries and milkshakes at Johnny Rockets, Andrew and I decided we couldn't leave LA without seeing Beverly Hills...



Just being next to that sign made me feel like somebody! Somebody who was holding up traffic next to who knows what movie star's house I'm sure, but still somebody with a huge smile on her face!

In typical Katelyn fashion, I brought a beauty bag with me with all my makeup and a change of clothes for the concert. I had to change in the bathroom of a downtown LA Walgreen's in under 10 minutes...



That's my adorable little bro up top. I clearly say "little" ironically...

And so the concert was AMAZING! Bruno Mars is superstar incarnate... I'll remember that concert for the rest of my life!

Since this day trip to LA, I have admittedly gone back to my hermit ways. Vandenberg AFB is it's own little bubble with everything you could really need, so it's been easy to be complacent. 

But there's just too much to see, do and embrace in California! 

So y'all help keep me encouraged to find my inner California Girl. :)

Always remember the makeup minions love you...


P.S. For all things Housewifey, visit my other blog The Domestic Muse











1 comments:

Tiffany @ Healthynothopeless said...

Loved this entry! Haha that would so be me posing by the Beverly Hills salon as well. Glad you're adjusting well :) Look forward to seeing more updates!

Post a Comment